It starts out simple enough. You pull up a clip of The Wiggles or maybe a little Elmo. It keeps your ever-moving toddler still for five whole minutes, so you can breathe.
Then those other videos start to creep in. Your child is suddenly mesmerized by a pair of hands opening a shiny new toy. The voice of a grown woman narrates all the wonderful attributes of said toy, as the hands creepily play along.
Before you know it, your YouTube recommendations include everything from Bad Babies to Spiderman and Elsa inexplicably playing pranks on each other. And your little one eats it all up.
Here are five signs it may be time to cut ties with the Tube:
1) He is disappointed every time you crack an egg.
2) He refers to all his toys as “surprises.”
3) He wants to change his name to Ryan.
4) He calls his thumb “daddy finger.”
5) At the end of every play date he tells his friends to “Subscribe, subscribe, subscribe!”
If this list makes no sense to you, consider yourself lucky. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m kind of starting to miss Caillou.